(updated May 24th, updates in red)
On May 18th, Governor Greg Abbott announced plans for Youth Sports Clubs to begin a phased return to play by the end of May and potentially league play, camps, festivals, tournaments in mid-to-late June. Our national governing bodies US Soccer, US Youth Soccer, and US Club Soccer in conjunction with the CDC are also publishing state-by-state guidelines for clubs to use for training, tryouts, camps and league play that will begin with some restrictions and eventually unrestricted play. GCYSC is studying these guides to ensure that we comply and are doing everything we can to create a safe environment for our players and families when we resume play. More to follow on this in the next week.
Based on this information, we are planning for the fall season to begin at the normal time and run from August-November. As communicated in an earlier email, we are unfortunately not able to offer “full” refunds due to the expenses we incurred preparing for the season, but we are able to offer partial credit toward a future season. See options below.
We will begin online registration on or before June 1 for all programs and we are tentatively planning in-person registrations on Saturday June 6, 13, 20 and 27th. Look for a formal open registration announcement in the coming days.
Spring Cancellation Credit Options: Listed below are the various credit, camp or donation options available. Use this link to complete the form and choose the option you prefer https://forms.gle/3YQV63esaVLr66pd8 .
1. $25 CREDIT OFFER: For those unable to attend the Next Level Summer Soccer Camp, Gulf Coast Soccer will provide the option to receive a $25 credit toward a future registration event in 2020 or 2021. All U5-U19 players (Micro, Jr Rec, Sr Rec, Academy and Competitive) registered and paid in full for the Spring 2020 season are eligible. This credit will be applied toward your club account. See donation, camp options below.
2. $25 COVID-19 RELIEF DONATION: We have created a COVID-19 RELIEF SCHOLARSHIP FUND. Anyone able to donate their $25 credit or more toward this scholarship fund will be helping fellow members. These funds will be coded and set aside to be only used to aid members who can show they need a scholarship to return to play this fall due to COVID-19. See camp option below.
3. RECREATIONAL SUMMER CAMP: Any recreational player that makes the donation toward the Scholarship Fund will still be eligible for the Next Level Summer Camp (at no additional charge) planned for mid-to-late July. If you take the credit you will not be eligible. Actual dates and sign-ups will be sent out as soon as return to play guidelines are published (tentative July 6-9 or July 13-16).
4. ACADEMY AND COMPETITIVE SUMMER CAMP: To make up for missed training, all Academy and Competitive players will also be eligible and strongly encouraged to attend the Pre-Season Team Camps in late July. Actual dates and sign-ups will be sent out as soon as return to play guidelines are published (tentative July 20-23 or July 27-30).
5. FREE STREET SOCCER FESTIVAL: This is for the kids! If allowed and it is safe to do so, we will host one or more 1-day soccer jamborees at GC Soccer Complex in mid-to-late June. The events will be 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5 depending on the age and run street soccer style with each team getting 1-2 games in the day. Full teams with coaches are welcome, but it is not required. The club will staff these events with volunteer coaches or staff as needed. Anyone that wants to play will be able to play. (tentative June 20 or 27) More to follow!
FYI - Competitive Tryouts will be held June 1-4 at GC Soccer Complex. If you do not feel it is safe to have your child participate, please let us know. We will make an alternate arrangement. Look for more details and a formal tryout sign-up announcement in the coming days.
As we are all aware COVID-19 caused harm to every family, business, church and non-profit organization. Everyone in our club was touched or impacted by this crisis including our board, volunteers and staff. In 39 years of existence the club has never faced a catastrophe of this magnitude. We did not anticipate, nor were we prepared, for a crisis of the scope and magnitude of COVID-19. We conducted the Spring Season preparation the same as we have done for every previous season. Had COVID-19 not occurred we were on schedule to have a fantastic opening day and spring season beginning March 28th and April 4th. But it did occur and since early April we have been trying to navigate and solve a problem that is fluid and changes week-to-week even to this day.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during this crisis. We will learn from this and work hard to make Gulf Coast Soccer a great club that provides best in class programs, player development, coaching education and facilities for our members to enjoy. We look forward to seeing everyone on the pitch soon!
Gulf Coast Soccer